8.17.2011

Sangria Tapas y Bar

`oSangria is one of my absolute favorite places to go for Mediterranean style tapas.  It's owned by the Lombardi restaurant group, who also claim Lakewood's Penne Pomodoro and Cibus at Northpark Center, to name a couple. 

Here's what Ryan and I got last time we went...


First, we ordered the Cheese Croquettes and the special, Toasted Beef Ravioli.  I also had the Tomato Gazpacho that was served with Avocado Relish, Basil and Croutons. 



These raviolis were delicious.  They were filled with "spicy" beef, jalapeno, and cheese, and were topped with a sweet chili sauce.  I was wishing they had more of a kick and so was Ryan,  but then again, we both love really spicy foods.



We also ordered the Gnocchi "Parisien".  It's covered in a bechamel sauce that is flavored with Mediterranean cheeses.  A pistachio-walnut pistou is drizzled on top.

The gnocchi were soft and buttery, and melted in your mouth.  The nutty pistou was a tasty change of pace from the usual herb pesto you see on lots of gnocchi dishes.



This is the Spanikopita in country phyllo dough, with spinach, feta, and tzatziki sauce.  The textures of this yummy spinach pastry were on point.  The presentation was beautiful.  The flavors on the other hand, were a bit salty for my taste.  I'd probably give it a 4/5.



I love tarts, and frangipan.  When I was in culinary school, we made lots of pastries in baking class, and frangipan was always my favorite.  It's a pastry filling made of or flavored with almonds.  

So for dessert, we ordered the Apple Frangipan Tart.  It is served with an Apple Cider Caramel Sauce and Dulce de Leche ice cream.  I just realized I haven't talked much about desserts yet here on Devour Dallas, and this tart is definitely worth talking about.  It had a great balance of apple and almond flavors, and the ice cream with the apple cider caramel sauce added the perfect amount sweetness.
 


We went on a Thursday night and I wasn't aware that Thursday night's are ladies night.  When we were eating Ryan pointed out that he was the only guy in there!

I've heard the brunch on the weekends is fantastic, and they offer $1 Mimosas and Sangria.  I also learned that Mondays are Service Industry Nights and the entire menu is half price!  I think I'll go on a Monday next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment