9.02.2011

Sushi Sake

My wonderfully food savvy niece Rachel decided she wanted to go to Sushi Sake for her birthday, and I couldn't have been more pleased.  I had been wanting to try the place because I always hear great things.  I think I let the Richardson location discourage me from making it out there, but trust me I will not make this mistake again.  Everything was absolutely delicious.

Upon entering Sushi Sake, you are greeted by this cute little guy, a Tanuki statue that they have by the entrance.  Tanuki is the Japanese god of Restauranteurs, and is said to attract customers.  He seemed to definitely be helping the night of our dinner.  The restaurant was packed, and I'm told it's usually like that every night. 
 

I really admired the decor in the restaurant.  It was fresh and modern, and didn't feel outdated or stale.  The main seating area was comfortable, and featured long cushioned benches.  The back of the restaurant (The Tatami Room) boasts traditional Japanese low dining tables on Tatami mats.  And of course, you can always sit at the Sushi Bar for an even more authentic experience.

As we settled into our table with our green teas and sake, we picked out our appetizers.   I ordered the Hotategai Butteryaki (scallops sautéed in butter) and we ate them so fast I didn't get a picture!  Although, I did get one of my Japanese dinner staples; Miso Soup, Green Salad with Ginger Dressing, and Edamame.  All were excellent, but those scallops were just on point, and they were my favorite part of the meal!  Next time I go, I'll be sure to take a picture to remember them.


After scarfing down our starters, we made our sushi selections.  Everyone had an input, and we all wanted something different (yay!) so we filled out our sheet and handed it to our waitress.

This is what we got back.  Isn't it beautiful?  I wish I could have that plate again right now.


I'm going to do my best to recall everything: Louisiana Roll, California Roll, Shrimp Tempura Roll, Jalapeno Roll, Toro (fatty tuna), Snow Crab, Fresh Salmon, and Fresh Tuna.  (I hope I didn't forget any!)

Each sushi or sashimi I tried was AMAZING.  It was all super fresh and tasty.  The rice was cooked perfectly.  The whole plate was bright and inviting.  My favorites were the Toro and the Jalapeno Roll.  Both were suggestions of my brother, who has great taste in food.  He said the Toro was like the filet mignon of sushi.  I'll just say he certainly knows what he's talking about!

We just dove right in, I'm surprised my family let me take this picture!

After that plate everyone was pretty full, but it was my niece's birthday so we couldn't say no to dessert, right?

I noticed Mochi on the menu, and it's one of my favorite sweet treats.  Rachel said she hadn't tried it before, so naturally I had to insist that she did and we ordered the mango and strawberry flavors.  I have to be honest and say that I had never tried fresh mochi before, only the kind from Whole Foods or Central Market.  Boy was I surprised at how much better it is!  I almost don't want to buy the store bought kind anymore.  They were tender and slightly chewy, with creamy, fruity ice cream centers.
These cute little desserts were the perfect ending to a fabulous meal.


After finishing our desserts we hugged and said our goodbye's, and I left feeling like it was my birthday.  It was that good.

Click here for reservations for 6 or more in the Tatami room!

No comments:

Post a Comment